Our History

Beginnings

Queensview, pre-construction, 1949.<br/>Photograph courtesy of Eric SchwarzJoint Queensview Housing Enterprises Inc. opened its doors as a pioneering middle-income cooperative housing development on 14 November 1950. The co-op’s founders were a group of public-spirited New Yorkers, including Louis H. Pink, who was then president of the New York State Housing Board and State Superintendent of Insurance. He was joined by Gerard Swope, former president of General Electric and former chairman of the New York City Housing Authority. (As a mark of gratitude to these two men, whose inspiration made QV possible, the cooperators subsequently dedicated the community rooms in buildings 7 and 14 to them).

Our First Board

The first Board of Directors consisted of Mr. Pink, president of QV; Mr. Swope, chairman of the board, and such prominent citizens as Henry Morgenthau, Jr., former U.S. Secretary of the Treasury; David Sarnoff, chairman of the board of RCA; Mary K. Simkhovitch, director emeritus of Greenwich House; Thomas J. Watson, viceQueensview, 1957.<br/>Photograph courtesy of Eric Schwarz-president of IBM; Howard S. Cullman, chairman of the New York Port Authority; Bernard Gimble, president of Gimble Brothers; Howard C. Shepard (QV’s first treasurer), president of National City Bank (now Citibank); the Very Reverend E. Roberts Moore, formerly of the New York City Housing Authority; Mrs. Yorke Allen of the Citizens Housing and Planning Council; Albert Lasker of the Lasker Foundation; Beardsley Ruml, chairman of the Board of Macy’s; and G. Howland Shaw, president of the Welfare Council of New York.

The Board retained Maxwell Tretter as counsel (who served in this capacity for many years); George Brown and Bernard Guenther, architects; Alfred Rheinstein (former chairman of the New York City Housing Authority and a leader in the cooperative housing movement), builder; James Felt, consultant for management and tenant selection; and Abraham Kazan, consultant for cooperative practice.

The prospective cooperators were actively involved in the planning of QV even before construction began and made many significant contributions to the design of the buildings and grounds and the layout in the apartments. Resident cooperators were later added to the Board Queensview, 2004.<br/>Photograph courtesy of Frank Marcovitzand eventually replaced the “public” members. Now all QV Board members are shareholders and residents.

Today

On 3 October 1989, Joint Queensview Housing Enterprises Inc. reconstituted and converted from being a redevelopment company to being a private cooperative. At that same time, the name was changed to Queensview, Inc. The Corporation emerged from a plan of exchange pursuant to Section 913 of the Business Corporation Law of the State of New York to effect binding share exchanges, which qualified as a tax-free “reorganization” pursuant to Section 368(a)(1)(F) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.